We used to go to Aussie inspired cafes like Feeka or VCR on the weekends. Sometimes with friends or family, sometimes just the two of us. Nowadays it’s a lot tougher with the arrival of our boys and social distancing.
So, for Mother’s Day, I decided to make a minimalist version of what we used to enjoy on weekends: Single Pan Big Breakfast + Coffee.
An easy low-prep meal allows us to spend more time with our family, and this is about as easy as it gets.
- A few good quality sausages and some bacon strips (beef or pork)
- Choose 3 or 4 types: spinach, tomatoes, mushrooms, brocolli, leftovers
- Olive oil
- Black pepper
- Heat up some olive oil and butter in a pan (use a pan size that fits the amount of people eating, not too large or small)
- On low heat, fry up the sausages and bacon first. Tilt the pan a little so that everything is in one corner (yes, I know the pan is round)
- Let it cook a few minutes and the turn them over so the other side starts cooking. If the ingredients are just out of the freezer then maybe add 3 more minutes for each side.
- While the sausages and bacon are cooking, wash and cut up your veggies. My favorites are mushroom, spinach and cherry tomatoes. But basically any leftovers your have can be used. For this round, I didn’t have any mushroom or spinach so I used broccoli, carrots and spring onions.
- Throw the veggies in and now the pan should be level so that everything is cooking on a layer of oil. Stir the veggies around a bit as they cook.
- Make some space and crack the eggs in. Twist some fresh black pepper on everything. No additional salt required as the sausages and bacon already contain it.
- While waiting I cleaned up everything I used prior: knife,chopping board, bowl and colander.
- Then I started brewing the coffee in a moka pot.
- Stir the eggs around as they cook. When they are solidified to your liking, the dish is done. If you perfect your timing like I did, so is the coffee.
- The whole dish should be done in under 10 minutes…? I forgot to time myself, tbh.
- If the carbs are insufficient, just add some buttered toast.
- If cooking for one, I’d just eat it directly off the pan for easier cleanup.
Happy Mother’s Day!